Thursday, January 26, 2012

Playstation 3- Back to the Future (Part 1)

Well last night I decided I need to go through my games a couple at a time, play them, beat them, and platinum/1k+ them, so I decided to start with the ones on my hard drive since they are the easiest and so I can delete them to free up some space. My only platinum on my Playstation Network account right now is from Portal 2, which is a great game by the way and I am more than happy to help others out with any games as long as I own them. Anyways, I started with Back to the Future (part 1 of 5). I had previously played it, but only for about 5 minutes because I was about to leave.

Gameplay
This is probably one of the easiest games I have ever played. I got all of the trophies for part one in just a little over an hour.
The story was interesting because it was like a mini-episode from the actual movies (if you have seen them). It is a very basic game, almost like a point and click type of game. I have not played any games on the system like this before. The characters are definitely likeable. One of the weaknesses I think in this game is how simple the puzzles are. You find an object and almost immediately use it, so it offers no challenge. The most challenging part of the game is one area where you have to listen to the Doc and his father arguing, but control a lot of contraptions in a certain order by picking out certain words from only the Doc's side of the argument. If you mess up once, you ruin the progress of a trophy. If you have the subtitles on though, the "clue" words as to what contraption to do to is in all caps, making the puzzle VERY easy. The bad guys in town make an appearance, then disappear so suddenly...they are not very involved and you spend a majority of your time in the same exact areas, so there is not much for exploring. I'd give the gameplay a 4/10 because it wasn't quite unbearable, but at least there is a skip button to skip the story scenes, which is was most of the game consists of.

Graphics & Sounds

I liked how the voices were very accurate to those of the actors in the films. The doc was voiced by the same actor, Christopher Llyod, but Marty was voiced by a new guy, who actually sounds just like Michael J Fox did. The graphics are a bit cartoony, however they fit the gameplay. The lipping was off really bad in the Playstation 3 version, which I have read the Wii version is even worse. It almost makes some of the cutscenes seem like a joke. I will give the graphics/sounds section an 7/10 because this is where the game makes up for almost everything. 



Controls
The controls for this game are extremely basic and very simple to learn and use. The only big drawback that was upsetting to me was the camera angles in the city area when you do go back in time. They somewhat resembled those from the first Resident Evil where the camera would spontaneously flip flop and the controls would do the same. I found that to be highly aggravating as that is where you spend a majority of the time in the game running back and forth. I'll rate this section a 5/10 for the simplified buttons, but the horrible camera angles at certain parts that make the game unbearable. 

Replay Value

The only reason I would ever replay this game is to get any missed trophies, but since I got them all on the first playthrough, I have already deleted this off of my hard drive if that says how much replay value this had to me. I would give the replay value a 1/10 only for any missed trophies.

Overall

Luckily this game IS available on a disc as well for those of you who would prefer to just rent it, beat it, take it back. All 5 parts are available right now for free if you are a Playstation Plus member, which is great because this game isn't unplayable nor unbearable, but it is a very easy platinum if you are interested in a freebie. I will be downloading the other 4 parts I believe just to get the easy platinum, but I am extremely thankful for the skip button "O" at some parts. They story is interesting if you liked the films and the characters are likeable, however it is a point and click game with simple puzzles, so the game lacks really any real challenges. 3.35/10 if you average all of my ratings, however I'd give it 4.5/10 just for its simplicity, story line, and decent voice acting.

This game is only out at the moment for Wii, Playstation 3, and PC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment